90-By-The-Sea Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge
This photo of 90-By-The-Sea at 12 N. First St. was taken on June 24, 1967, around the time it opened. The city of Jacksonville Beach built the shell of the restaurant and was to receive a portion of the gross proceeds. In a review at the time, Judy Wells said the restaurant offered “an impeccable, flavorful taste of the good life.” This included veal cordon bleu and snapper with lobster sauce. In 1977 Florida named Trend 12 North, the new name for the restaurant, as one of the eight “Best of All” restaurants in Florida. The building later became the crab pot. | Continue reading
This grill restaurant was located on 506 Beach Boulevard in Jacksonville Beach. In this September 1992 photo, Bill and Scarlett Yoden are enjoying a meal.
The famous sign adorned with a rooster in the Breakfast Nook restaurant in Atlantic Beach is now just a memory. The owners Joe and Georgette Cornello sold the property to the developers of the planned North Beach Center after 22 years of operation.
What is still open:The Times Union’s summer dining guide to Jacksonville restaurants
Seafood restaurant in Briny Bay
Guests at the Briny Bay Seafood Restaurant on Beach Boulevard were Chef Bo Meade, who began his career in the fish shop at Barnacle Bill’s in St. Augustine. Briny Bay was known for its “lightly breaded deep-fried seafood” as well as for everything grilled, boiled, blackened and grilled. The most popular dish was the fried fish. Photo from January 16, 1998.
The Buccaneer Restaurant was located at 9636 Heckscher Drive, on the north landing of the Mayport Ferry. The restaurant’s owners, Patrice and Jack McCallman, are pictured in their restaurant in September 1993.
Campeche Bay Cantina
Known for its stacked enchiladas, chicken plobano rojas, and enchilada filled with blue crabs and prawns, Campeche Bay Cantina was a fixture on First Avenue in Jacksonville Beach for 21 years until it closed in 2019. But their history dates back to 1986 when the first Campeche Bay opened in Arlington. | Continue reading
Chizu Japanese steak and seafood
The Japanese steak and seafood restaurant Chizu in Jacksonville Beach was open for more than 26 years. It was a popular hangout for birthdays and other celebrations or just a night out on the town when people gathered around large tables with grills to watch a chef prepare their food. Photo from January 12, 1999.
The restaurant, which was demolished to turn Rome into a hotel, was open in 12N for 16 years. First St. Bobby “Frisbee” Coleman, who describes himself as the world champion in freestyle Frisbee, shows his remarkable skills outside the Crab Pot in Jacksonville Beach in this photo dated July 22, 1998. Coleman was in town to visit friends, whose regulars’ table was in the Crab Pot Bar.
History, fresh seafood, famous Cubans:Here are our 10 favorite iconic restaurants in Florida
This restaurant was located on the second floor of the Ponte Vedra Health and Fitness Club in the Sawgrass Village shopping center. David Crest, photographed here with bow tie in September 1992, is a practicing nutritionist. He was seated with his daughter Paige, with Sandra Nojiri, Center, co-owner of the restaurant that served macrobiotic and vegetarian dishes.
Dixon’s Wood Roast Chicken
This family-run, no-chain restaurant opened in September 1993. In this November 1993 photo, co-owner Hugh Mabry, right, slides several cooked chickens onto a tray. Also pictured from the left are Kelly Allen and Angela Dixon, and branch manager Perry Ellis.
Dolphin Depot owner Steve Rider opened his restaurant at 704 First Street N. in the red development district of Jacksonville Beach. The exterior of the venue can be seen here in October 1993.
Don’t drink the water
Formerly known as a sports bar called Fannie Dugans, this property was reopened as a Mexican restaurant and bar by its owner, Kent Schmidt. Schmidt believed the change would make the venue more profitable.
In this photo, taken May 19, 2004, the property for the famous Amos restaurant in Atlantic Beach was for sale. The restaurant has operated on site for 20 years.
First street grill
First Street Grille was a popular beachfront restaurant known for its shrimp salad, soups, and other fresh seafood. The building was demolished to make way for condominiums. The photo was taken on December 15, 2005, just a few weeks before the restaurant closed.
Giovanni’s, 1161 Beach Blvd., serves fine Italian food in a beautiful atmosphere. Photo taken on Nov. 10, 1998.
Harbor Lights Restaurant and Marina
Located on the Intracoastal Waterway at 14535 Beach Blvd. This restaurant offers fried fish, oven-baked grouper, she-crab soup, and Bahamiam bread. In this December 29, 1998 photo, boats find safe berths behind the Harbor Lights Restaurant and the marina. | Continue reading
This cafe was owned by Melanie Stanford along with her daughter and son-in-law Alice and Travis Parsons. Gene Parsons, the original owner of Parsons Restaurant in Mayport, worked in the kitchen. The restaurant got its name because it was next to Beach Body D., a junkyard owned by Mrs. Stanford’s husband. Wall art, as seen here in January 1993, was created by Bill Trotter.
Closed? Because of this, some of your favorite Jacksonville restaurants are closed for lunch or Monday
This is the beach side of Le Chateau, a well-known upscale Atlantic Beach restaurant owned by the Preben Johansen family. It is included in the new book “Lost Restaurants of Jacksonville”. Liberace, who played concerts in Jacksonville, loved going to the restaurant and listening to pianist Gene Nordan. | Continue reading
Manatee Ray owner Joe Saul stands outside his island restaurant on 1st Street and 2nd Avenue in Jacksonville Beach in April 1993.
Miss Judy’s Restaurant
Miss Judy’s Restaurant at 922 S. First St. on 10th Avenue was across from the beach on south Jacksonville Beach. Some of their specialties were conch fritters, fried catfish, or fried oysters. Photo from December 28, 1997.
Pagoda Chinese Restaurant
Pagoda Chinese Restaurant serves traditional Chinese dishes and is located on Third Street and Ninth Avenue South. Photo from December 28, 1997.
Parson’s Seafood Restaurant
Parson’s on Ninth Street was a mainstay of the Jacksonville Beach dining scene for about five decades. While the original restaurant in the old leafy building closed, Parson’s reopened on Atlantic Boulevard in Neptune Beach.
Patty Wells opened this restaurant in October 1992 in the former Damnifino building, about a mile past the Mayport Coast Guard. Here, waitress Wilda VonSeggren serves food to Dick Travis, from left, Buddy Terry and Russ Anderson, who all work at Naval Air Station and come regularly for lunch.
Pier Pointe Restaurant
Sabine and George Westerman of East Arlington watch birds and beach goers on January 4, 1998 from their table at Pier Pointe Restaurant on Jacksonville Beach. The couple went to this restaurant about twice a month because they said they enjoyed the sea, atmosphere and friendly people.
The Rite Spot, 1534 Third St. N., has been a favorite for home cooking since 1954. It had locations in Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach before moving to Jacksonville Beach. This photo is from the Jacksonville Beach location.
Sundog Steak and Fish Restaurant &
The Sundog Steak & Seafood Restaurant on 207 Atlantic Blvd. at Neptune Beach had the look of a classic American diner from the 50s or 60s. Sundog was known for its meatloaf, fish rolls, blue cheese chips, and games in the back.
Surf Maid Drive-In
The Surf Maid Drive-In on Beach Boulevard was known for its hamburgers, fries and cherry cokes. In this photo from 2009, Fletcher High School graduate Tim Ellis, born 1970, left, Ponte Vedra Beach, and Chelly Schembera, born 1962, West Beaches, pose in front of a Surf Maid sign at the once popular restaurant. The sign was on loan to the Museum and History Center for a Fletcher High School exhibit in conjunction with the school’s All Class Reunion.
The Homestead Restaurant
The Homestead Restaurant, with its fried chicken and fluffy biscuits, was in an old house from 1934 on Beach Boulevard. This photo of the marquee at the Homestead Restaurant was adopted by guests on August 13, 2007. Another Homestead restaurant with some of the same recipes opened on Penman Road in Jacksonville Beach in 2018, but closed six months later. TacoLu is open in the Beach Boulevard building. | Continue reading
More: Ghost of Alpha Paynter is still roaming the building that was The Homestead for years
The hungry iguana
This restaurant on 318 S. 23rd Ave. was considered one of the hottest Mexican restaurants on the beach. Inside the venue there were huge aquariums that were home to live iguanas, and the place was decorated with psychedelic art. The owners were Brian Horn, left behind the counter; Brett Byers, behind the counter; and Jerry Gadkowski, not shown. In this July 1992 photo, South Jacksonville Beach customer Marty Vogel is looking at the menu.
The panda inn
This restaurant was located at 1401 Atlantic Blvd. in Neptune Beach and owned by San H. Tunt. Inside the restaurant, in January 1993, a large stuffed panda doll watches over the lunch buffet.
This restaurant was located at 1412 First Avenue N. in Jacksonville Beach. In this October 1993 photo, Simon Quintana is holding a tray of food intended for a table of Mexican foodies.
Village Place New York Deli
Helen and Bernard Rayber, pictured, opened this restaurant in October 1992.
Best grilling:Jacksonville’s favorite BBQ spots, from local attractions to the latest trendsetters
Ward’s Landing is located on South Roscoe Blvd. 15 and is aimed at boaters and locals from Ponte Vedra. In this November 1992 photo, Hugh Scott from Sawgrass is having lunch with daughter-in-law Andrea Scott and son Hank, 5, from Washington DC